The marketplace for small and midsize businesses is messy. Having peeked behind the curtain at over 10,000 companies, this book aims to demystify the buyers, the process, and the inevitably emotional journey that is selling a company.
Read it. Reference it. Share it.
Think about what outcomes are important to you and why. Here’s a cheat sheet:
- I want between $__________ and $___________ of cash as a financial result. (You’ll have to pay off debt, taxes, and transaction costs. Also, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.)
- I want to work for ___ years in my current position, and am willing to consult with the company for ___ years thereafter. (It’s okay to say you want to stick with the company long-term, or leave the day of closing.)
- I’m looking for a buyer/partner that will take the ________ role in the company. (Example roles include advisory board, passive partner, CEO, and CFO.) The characteristics/values of an ideal buyer would be:
- My ideal timeline for a transaction would be ______, but I’d be happy to sell in _____ years.
- My top non-financial goals are: